A tradition over 110 years old
Osteopathic medicine's roots center on the belief of the body being able to heal itself. This
holistic approach to medicine was brought to Erie in the form of a community hospital over 50
years ago through the vision and efforts of six osteopathic physicians. These founding physicians
believed it was not up to the public to give them a place to work. They wanted to supply the
community with a place. Their dream was to provide an alternative medicine to all who wanted or
needed its benefits. Their dream was realized on Januray 15, 1950, as the Erie Osteopathic
Hospital was opened. The hospital was founded by Amedeo A. Agresti, D.O., Ben L. Agresti, D.O.,
Lloyd R. Bashaw, D.O., Richard W. Cooney, D.O., Otto A. Meyn, D.O., and H. Dale Pearson, D.O.
Our founders and first
The six founding physicians purchased a stone building on
West Sixth street for the site of the Erie Osteopathic Hospital. The hospital's services included
a complete clinical laboratory, major and minor operating rooms, emergency room, outpatient
service, a delivery and labor suite, an eight bassinet nursery, full X-ray Department, private
and semi-private rooms, and two five-bed wards.
Between 1950 and 1958, many patients
were served by the growing hospital. The cases recorded include 9200 patient admissions, 5849
operations, 1558 births, and over 16,000 x-ray cases. The growing hospital was in need of
additional beds and parking spaces.
to Peach Street in 1958
So in 1958, a tract of six and one half acres
in Millcreek Township was chosen to build a larger, more modern facility. This site proved
feasible, being accessible from town and the surrounding area. The modern, one story hospital at
5515 Peach Street, could accommodate twice as many patients and would continue to include
departments in medicine, surgery and obstetrics. It also established a department of general
practice, reinforcing its commitment to a holistic approach to patient care, which is the
cornerstone of the osteopathic philosophy.
After only five years at its new Millcreek
site, the public's demand for the hospital's services had overburdened the facility. The Board of
Trustee's agreed that another fifty beds, plus larger labs and x-ray facilities must be added. As
the facility expanded its support services, sophisticated electronic monitoring equipment and
diagnostic equipment were purchased to maintain modern medical standards.
Millcreek Community Hospital emerged in
Millcreek Community Hospital became a reality on May 6, 1981
after 31 years of community service as Erie Osteopathic Hospital. Because the hospital wanted to
forge a stronger geographic identity with Millcreek Township, it changed its name.
Millcreek Community Hospital prides itself in its commitment to provide the best personal care
possible for patients. Expansion continues today with the addition of a fifth floor, three story
addition, manor expansions and the LECOM Health and Wellness Center.